ROOT CANAL THERAPY
Relieve your pain and save your tooth.
While many squirm at the mention of a root canal, it is a common dental procedure that provides relief of the pain caused by your infected tooth. We take every precaution to ensure you are comfortable during your procedure.
What is a root canal and why would I need one?
At the center of your tooth is dental pulp. Pulp is a collection of nerves and blood vessels that help provide your tooth with nutrition and keep it alive. When the pulp becomes infected due to decay or damage it causes pain and swelling in the tooth and surrounding gums. Root canal therapy can save your tooth and prevent tooth extraction.
Root canal procedure
We understand you may be nervous about getting a root canal and we ensure that each step of the procedure is explained in detail. Root canal therapy is usually completed in one appointment, yet if the tooth is infected, your appointment will require two visits.
- First we will examine and take X-rays of your infected tooth.
- A local anesthetic is given to ensure the tooth and surrounding area are numb. We want to ensure your comfort.
- Dr. Kerr or Dr. Flory will then carefully drill an opening into the tooth, accessing the infected pulp.
- The infected pulp is then gently removed, rinsed and cleaned providing relief from your dental pain.
- Dr. Kerr or Dr. Flory will then fill the tooth and seal the area to prevent further infection.
- If a crown is needed to restore your tooth, Dr. Kerr or Dr. Flory will discuss this option with you.
When your tooth is restored, ensuring you brush and floss regularly is important to keep it healthy. It is normal to feel some tenderness after the appointment. Take it easy for 24 hours after your procedure and if you experience any prolonged pain or discomfort call us at 403-981-3685.
COME & JOIN OUR FAMILY.
Get professional dental care from kind people, in a comfortable setting.
With open arms, and an open chair, we would love to have you.